Tutorials and Examples¶
We currently have three places for Gammapy tutorials and examples:
- Python scripts with Sphinx documentation in the
docs/tutorialsfolder in the
- Python scripts without inline comments only in the
examplesfolder in the
- IPython notebooks in the
notebooksfolder in the
Each of these solutions has advantages / disadvantages, we might consolidate this in the future as the tooling to convert between these formats improves.
Python example scripts with Sphinx documentation¶
The tutorials show some real-world usage examples of the Gammapy Python package and / or command line tools.
Python example scripts¶
examples folder in the
gammapy repo contains small Python scripts
illustrating how to use Gammapy.
For now the full list of examples is only available here: https://github.com/gammapy/gammapy/tree/master/examples
We plan to integrate that into the online Sphinx docs ... please help if you know how to do this: https://github.com/gammapy/gammapy/issues/172
Here’s some links to good external resources to learn Python, Numpy, Scipy, Astropy, ...
Python is very popular in astronomy (and data science in general). It’s possible to learn the basics within a day and to become productive within a week.
- Tom Robitaille Python for scientists workshop –– http://www2.mpia-hd.mpg.de/~robitaille/PY4SCI_SS_2015/
- Scientific Python lecture notes –– https://scipy-lectures.github.io/
- Practical Python for astronomers — http://python4astronomers.github.io
- MPIK Astropy workshop — https://astropy4mpik.readthedocs.io/
- CEA Python for astronomers workshop –– https://github.com/kosack/CEAPythonWorkshopForAstronomers
- ctools — http://cta.irap.omp.eu/ctools-devel/
- Astropy tutorials — http://www.astropy.org/astropy-tutorials/
- Naima examples — http://naima.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
- Fermi ScienceTools analysis threads ––– http://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/ssc/data/analysis/scitools/
- CIAO Sherpa threads ––– http://cxc.harvard.edu/sherpa/threads/index.html
- Astropy tutorial by Axel Donath from December 2013