The philosophy of Gammapy is to build on the existing scientific Python stack. This means that you need to install those dependencies to use Gammapy.
We are aware that too many dependencies is an issue for deployment and maintenance. That’s why currently Gammapy only has two core dependencies — Numpy and Astropy. We are considering making Scipy and reproject and PyYAML core dependencies.
In addition there are about a dozen optional dependencies that are OK to import from Gammapy because they are potentially useful (not all of those are actually currently imported).
Before the Gammapy 1.0 release we will re-evaluate and clarify the Gammapy dependencies.
The required core dependencies of Gammapy are:
- Numpy - the fundamental package for scientific computing with Python
- scipy library for numerical methods
- Astropy - the core package for Astronomy in Python
- regions - Astropy regions package. Planned for inclusion in Astropy core as
- click for making command line tools
- PyYAML for YAML data handling (config and results files)
Optional dependencies of Gammapy: